I have received my PhD in Mechanical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada in August 2015. I have also completed my MSc and BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Minnesota State University, Mankato, USA in 2010 and Military Institute of Science and Technology, Bangladesh in 2006, respectively.
My research interest includes computational fluid dynamics, heat and mass transfer, modelling and simulation of in vitro tissue culture process, lattice Boltzmann method, fibre network design, particle methods etc.
I am currently working in the project – “Fibre Network Design: Applications to Hygiene Products” with Prof. Tetsu Uesaka. In this project I am involved in modelling of the fibre network structures and investigating the mechanics of the fibre network using the particle methods. I am also involved in modelling and simulation of the transport of complex fluids through the porous fibre network, which is another major task of this project.
List of Journal publications:
1. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. A mathematical model and computational framework for three-dimensional chondrocyte cell growth in a porous tissue scaffold placed inside a bi-directional flow perfusion bioreactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, DOI: 10.1002/bit.25678.
2. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Visualization and analysis of large-scale vortex structures in three-dimensional turbulent lid-driven cavity flow. Journal of Turbulence, 16(10):901-924, 2015.
3. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Computational modelling of the scaffold-free chondrocyte regeneration: a two-way coupling between the cell growth and local fluid flow and nutrient concentration. Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology, DOI: 10.1007/s10237-015-0666-0, 2015.
4. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Fluid flow and mass transfer over circular strands using the lattice Boltzmann method. Heat and Mass Transfer, 51(10):1493–1504, 2015.
5. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Modelling and simulation of the chondrocyte cell growth, glucose consumption and lactate production within a porous tissue scaffold inside a perfusion bioreactor. Biotechnology Reports, 5: 55-62, 2015.
6. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Prediction of cell growth rate over scaffold strands inside the perfusion bioreactor. Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology, 14(2): 333-444, 2015.