Sociology Ba (A), Classical Sociological Theory, 7,5 credits
Subject/Main field: Sociologi
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: G1N - First cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
Answerable department: Social Sciences
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 3/21/2016
Version valid from: 8/22/2016
The aim of the course is to provide essential knowledge regarding classical sociological theory and its principal representatives.
At the completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the epistemological premises of classical text in sociology
- Apply and compare classical theory in sociological analysis
The course gives a theoretical basis on which to pursue future studies in contemporary sociology, by focusing on:
- Classical texts by three influential sociological pioneers
- The epistemological implications of their theories
- The understanding and application of sociological theory
- An increased understanding of the modern society
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Instruction is in the form of lectures, seminars, and project work.
The course examination consists of active participation in seminars and a written assignment.
The grades A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F are given on the course. On this scale the grades A through E represent pass levels, whereas Fx and F represent fail levels.
This class is open only to exchange students of Mid Sweden’s partner universities and it is given in English.