Sociology Ba (A), The Swedish Welfare State, 7,5 Credits
Subject/Main field: Sociologi
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: G1N - First cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
Answerable department: Humanities and Social Sciences
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 1/10/2019
Version valid from: 8/25/2014
The aim is to introduce Sociological perspectives to the understanding of the Swedish Welfare Model
At the completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- describe different Welfare State Models
- describe Sociological perspectives that can be used to analyze the Swedish Welfare Model.
- describe the institutional structure of the Swedish Welfare State and its challenges
- describe how the Welfare State creates and affects mens and womens different conditions.
The course gives an introduction to the Sociological study of the Swedish Welfare State.
Basic requirements. English course B from Swedish Upper Secondary School (Gymnasium). This can be proven by for example the following international English test.
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 575 on a paper based test and not below 4.5 on the TWE
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 90 on internet based test and not below 20 on the TWE
- IELTS Academic Training with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score on the specific parts of at least 5.5
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Teaching is carried out by lectures and seminars.
The course examination consists of active participation in seminars and a written assignment based on the course literature.
Link to subject-specific criteria for marks www.miun.se/betygskriterier
The grades A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F are given on the course. On this scale the grades A through E represent pass levels, whereas Fx and F represent fail levels.
Author: Cousins, Mel
Title: European Welfare States. Comparative Perspectives
Publisher: SAGE Publications
Author: Hajighasemi, Ali.
Title: Transformation of the Swedish Welfare System: Fact or Fiction? Globalisation, Institutions & Welfare State Change in a Social Democratic Regime
Publisher: Södertörns Högskola
Author: Melby, Ravn and Carlsson Wetterberg.
Title: Gender equality and welfare politics in Scandinavia. The limits of political ambition?
Publisher: Policy Press,
Scientific articles will be added to the course literature