Education MA, Higher Education and Flexible Learning
Subject/Main field: Pedagogik
Cycle: Second cycle
Progressive specialization: A1F - Second cycle, has second-cycle course/s as entry requirements
Answerable department: Department of Education
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 6/9/2016
Version valid from: 9/1/2015
The course aims for the student to achieve specialized knowledge and understanding, competence and skills, and judgement and approach in relation to what is achieved in first cycle studies.
The overall objective of the course is for the student to develop specialized knowledge and skills and the ability needed to work as a professional teacher within the higher education area.
After completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate specialized knowledge of students learning in higher education departing from theory and research with relevance to educational science or with relevance to artistic practice and developmental work.
- independently and collegially plan, teach in, examine and evaluate courses in higher education based on scholarly or artistic practice within the main field of teaching and support learning of individuals and groups.
- critically examine and reflect on his/her own teaching and relate to ethical aspects such as research/artistry, democracy, equality, equal treatment, in higher education.
- demonstrate a specialized knowledge as well as an independent and collegial approach to the objectives and regulations of higher education in Sweden
- demonstrate the ability to capture, analyze, and communicate his/her own experiences and relevant research results/results from artistic practice and development work, as a ground for developing education and the profession.
- complete an independent project that concerns education, teaching and learning within the student own field of study, related to relevant theory and research within educational science.
The course concerns areas central to teaching and learning in higher education such as; theories of relevance to the field of educational science and to student learning, the academy as an institution, the role of the teacher in the academy, foundational values in the academy as well as general values such as democracy, equality, equal treatment in higher education. An independent project aimed at the student own field.
Degree of Bachelor of at least 180 credits with at least 90 credits in one field of study.
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Teaching is provided in the form of lectures, demonstrations, and seminars and is conducted in common gatherings, individual and group meetings, at the course location or at a distance using technology.
Participation at all scheduled meetings, teaching, and seminars as well as presenting an independent project work.
Fail (U) or Pass (G)
Title: The Higher Education Ordinance
Comment: The latest version of the higher education ordinance, English translation at UHR.se
Author: Becher, Tony & Trowler, Paul R.
Title: Academic Tribes and Territories
Edition: 2001, 2 revised edition
Publisher: Open University Press
Comment: 9780335206278 256 s.
Author: Berggren, Caroline
Title: Entering higher education –gender and class perspectives
Publisher: Göteborg, Acta Universitatis Gothoburgensis
Author: Jaldemark, Jimmy
Title: Participation and genres of communication in online settings of higher education.
Comment: Education and information Technologiesvol. 13:2, pp. 129-149
Author: Knowles, Malcolm Shephard, Holton III, Elwood F. & Swanson, Richard,
Title: The Adult Learner
Comment: 288 s.
Author: Olofsson, A.D., & Lindberg, J.O
Title: "Whatever Happened to the Social Dimension? Aspects of Learning in a Distance-based Teacher Education Programme
Publisher: Education and Information Technologies, 2006, 11(1), 7-20.
Author: Tait, Alan
Title: Student success in open, distance and e-learning
Edition: 2015 The ICDE Reports Series URL
Comment: Rapport från ICDE (International Council for Open and Distance Education).
Dispens från sjugradig betygsskala enligt beslut av LUN 2008-09-09
Dnr MIUN 2008/1175