English BA (A), 30 credits
Subject/Main field: Engelska
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: G1N - First cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
Answerable department: Department of Humanities
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 3/11/2014
Version valid from: 8/15/2014
The student should develop the ability to use oral and written English as well as develop knowledge of English-speaking countries’ culture, literature and societies. The student should also show the ability to read, understand, interpret and analyse the course material.
After completing the course the student should be able to:
- understand and show the ability to use oral and written English in different contexts and styles.
- display knowledge and understanding of English grammar as a language system.
- search for, find, select and use information and language tools.
- display a general ability to identify, compare and analyse cultural characteristics and
expressions in English-speaking countries.
- display knowledge and understanding of individual literary texts in English and be able to place them in their cultural and linguistic contexts as well as use relevant terminology to read, understand and analyse these texts.
- contribute constructively to his/her studies, individually and in group as well
-write a well-structured analysis of a literary work in the form of an essay
- in conjunction with teachers and other students, plan her/his study time for short periods.
- collaborate with other students in order to develop and improve his/her and other students’ oral and written proficiency in English.
The course consists of four modules:
- Grammar, 7,5 credits
- The Study of Cultures in English-Speaking Countries, 7,5 credits
- Writing and Speaking in English, 7,5 credits
- The Study of Literatures in English-Speaking Countries, 7,5 credits
Admission to the course requires general admission requirements as well as English B
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Teaching forms include lectures, individual exercises and group exercises.
The course is designed so that student learning occurs within a process. This means that the majority of the modules include obligatory group work and written or oral discussions. All hand-in assignments (group and individual) and group discussions should be completed according to the specific module’s schedule.
The course is examined through continuous assessment of oral and written assignments.
1. Grammar, 7,5 credits
Examined partly through oral and written tasks that are continuously assessed and partly through written assignments and a final written examination.
2. The Study of Cultures in English-Speaking Countries, 7,5 credits
Examined by means of oral and written assignments that are assessed throughout the module.
3. Writing and Speaking in English, 7,5 credits
Examined by means of oral and written assignments that are continuously assessed throughout the module.
4. The Study of Literatures in English-Speaking Countries, 7,5 credits
Examined through oral and written assignments that are continuously assessed throughout the module.
Students are entitled to scheduled examination opportunities during the course period as well two extra opportunities within one year. Extra examination opportunities are based on the same course literature. Students who have failed an examination or the course twice have the right to another examiner. A student who has passed an examination or course is not allowed re-examination in order to gain a higher grade.
Link to specific subject grading criteria: www.miun.se/betygskriterier
The grades A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F are given on the course. On this scale the grades A through E represent pass levels, whereas Fx and F represent fail levels.
Course unit 1
Author: Estling Vannestål, Maria
Title: University Grammar of English with a Swedish Perspective
Edition: 2007, 1a upplaga
Comment: 540 sidor
Course unit 2
Author: Doctorow, E.L
Edition: senaste upplagan
Publisher: Pan Books
Comment: 240 sidor. Eller annan upplaga
Author: Duncan, Russel och Joseph Goddard
Title: Contemporary America
Edition: 2013, 4e upplaga
Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
Comment: 352 sidor.
Author: McCormick, John
Title: Contemporary Britain
Edition: 2012: 3e upplaga
Publisher: Palgrave Macmillan
Comment: 280 sidor.
Course unit 3
Title: Ingen obligatorisk litteratur
Course unit 4
Author: Kesey, Ken
Title: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Comment: 320 sidor Eller annan upplaga
Author: Lahiri, Jhumpa
Title: The Namesake
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company
Comment: 291 sidor. Eller annan upplaga
Author: Mac Laverty, Bernard
Publisher: Random House, UK
Comment: 176 sidor. Eller annan upplaga
Stenciler med uttalsövningar, grammatikövningar och andra texter (inkl. korta berättelser), tillhandahålls av avdelningen.
För lärarstuderande antagna till ULÄRY (före 1 juli 2007) finns möjlighet till konvertering av den sjugradiga betygsskalan till tregradig betygsskala.
For trainee teachers registered on ULÄRY (before 1 July 2007) it is possible to convert the seven grade scale to the three grade scale.