Graphic Design BA (A), Typography and Layout, 7,5 Credits
Subject/Main field: Grafisk design
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: G1N - First cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
Answerable department: Department of Media and Communication Science
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Science, Technology and Media
Date of change: 6/18/2014
Version valid from: 7/1/2014
The course aims to introduce tools for practical information and communication work in the area of layout as well as an awareness of the importance of typography and the structur of the creative process. The course will result in an individually-produced graphic print-work.
After passing the course students will:
- Know and be able to apply the basic practices of typography, layout and readability
- Be able to manage the basics of editing in a layout program
- Have produced individual advertisements
- Have produced an individual print-work demonstrating readability, visually and written.
- Be able to control and manage written text language in connection with graphical content
- Know basic practices for the structur of the creative process
- Perform a C-level sketch and the practical work involved
The course highlights:
- Basic practices of typography, layout and readability
- Basic practices for ad layout
- Practical work in a layout editor
- The structure of the creative process
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
An individual graphic assignment examination print-work, and written exams in typography and graphic design as well as communication grammar. To pass the course requires passing the individual print-assignments, exams and exercises. The grade is based on the individual print-work and examination. The print-work is evaluated on it's typography and layout considerations, initial concept, implementation and end result. Attendance is compulsory for certain lectures, tutorials and exercises and for all seminars and briefings.
Individual practical exercises in color and form as well as creative idea formulation.
Grading criteria for the subject can be found at www.miun.se/betygskriterier.
The grades A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F are given on the course. On this scale the grades A through E represent pass levels, whereas Fx and F represent fail levels.
Author: Bergström, Bo
Title: Effektiv visuell kommunikation: om nyheter, reklam och profilering i vår visuella kultur
Edition: 2012 Upplagenr: 8
Publisher: Carlsson bokförlag
Author: Hellmark, Christer
Title: Typografisk handbok.
Publisher: Ordfront/Ordfront Galago
Author: Per Mollerup
Title: Marks of Excellence. The history and taxonomy of trademarks
Edition: Senaste upplagan
Author: Arden, Paul
Title: Inte hur bra du är utan hur bra du vill bli
Author: Arden, Paul
Title: Vad du än tänker, tänk tvärtom
Samt institutionsproducerat material.