Nursing Science BA (B), Clinical Nursing, 19,5 Higher Education Credits
Subject/Main field: Omvårdnad
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: - - -
Answerable department: Department of Nursing Sciences
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 6/13/2013
Version valid from: 8/15/2013
The objectives and the aims of the course are that the student should:
Deepen their knowledge and understanding of Nursing Care and be given opportunities to apply the knowledge they have gained, practice new skills and increase their self-awareness.
After finishing the course, the student should know how:
- to analyze, discuss and implement the nursing process
- to critically reflect and value various nursing situations with help of different
- to valuate and implement the specific nursing in different nursing contexts
- to document the nursing process
- to implement medical techniques and hygienically principes
- to valuate and implement scientifically research results
- to be able to display personal development in problem solving
- to cooperate with patients and their relatives as well as with colleagues.
The course includes
- Assessment and documentation of the need for care
- Implementation and evaluation of the necessary care
- Administration and supervision of treatment of various types of illnesses
- Familiarity with medical equipment and the administration of medication
- Planning and execution of care measures which lead to good health, including
preventative care and rehabilitation
- Ethical principles in the analysis of decisions and consequences for patients
- Identification and analysis of organisational and economic factors within the
- Development of self-awareness and student introspection concerning their
attitudes to their future professional role
- Nursing research, evidence based nursing.
Documented qualifications from another country, equivalent to the following courses:
Nursing; 1-30 credits (1,5-45 Higher Education Credits)
Health Sciences A and B; 1-40 credits (1.5-60 HE Credits)
Nursing Placement and Nursing Care 1, 2 and 3; 1- 30 credits (1.5-45 HE Credits)
Leadership and Organisation; 5 credits (7,5 HE Credits)
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
The course is based on individual teaching and learning.
During a placement period, a week of study will be made up of 40 hours, of which 35 will be spent on the nursing placement, which will be timetabled individually. Should the student be absent from any part of course, suitable compensatory can be agreed on by the student, tutor and supervisor involved. Reading and writhing tasks and seminars will account for approximately 10 hours of study week.
Assessment on this course will be based on individual study tasks, seminars and continuous assessment of the student’s ability to apply the knowledge she/he ha gained.
A more detailed description of the assessment procedure and the criteria for grading are given in the study plan.
Students are right to a regular examination in connection with the course together with two more examinations in one year. Those three examinations shall be based on the same literature.
Fail (U) or Pass (G)
Scientific articles in the practice field.
Rules of admission
Admission to the course will be effected according to Higher Ordinance and the rules of Mid Sweden University.
A student who is graded the grade of either passed or passed with distinction shall upon request be issued a course certificate by Mid Sweden University in accordance of the Higher Education Ordinance.
The right to count in
Students have, according of the Higher Education Ordinance, the right to count in acquired knowledge and experience. Scrutinize whether a completed education or other activity may be accepted are up to Mid Sweden University.
Appeal against decisions are regulated by Higher Education Ordinance.