Sport Science Ba (A), Science and Practice in Ski Sports, 7,5 credits
Subject/Main field: Idrottsvetenskap
Cycle: First cycle
Progressive specialization: G1N - First cycle, has only upper-secondary level entry requirements
Answerable department: Health Sciences
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Date of change: 9/20/2017
Version valid from: 1/8/2018
The goal of this course is to provide learning experiences that will lead to the development of basic skills and knowledge in the selected skiing sports of cross-country skiing, biathlon and alpine skiing. In addition, the course will focus on using the selected skiing sports to increase participation and physical activity levels, as well as developing coaching and motivational strategies in the sports.
1. Develop an understanding of the importance and implementation of regular, lifelong physical activity for a healthy lifestyle and emotional well-being.
2. Develop good principles in movement and technique to optimise learning and progress.
3. Develop basic physical and coaching skills in the selected skiing sports.
4. Demonstrate concepts of play and competition in groups.
5. Demonstrate knowledge of the history, organisation, race strategies, rules and safety associated with the selected skiing sports.
Moment 1 (4 hp)
- Practical use of equipment and skill acquisition in the selected sports: cross-country skiing, biathlon and alpine skiing
- Practical knowledge and training of technical aspects in the selected sports
- Group coaching, development and mini-competitions
- Practical development of different physical performance components
Moment 2 (3,5 hp)
- Understanding the use of skiing sports for physical activity and health
- Theoretical knowledge in the selected sports
- Needs analysis in the selected sports
- History and organization of the sports, race formats, rules and safety
- Racing strategies and tactics for competing in the selected sports
The philosophy of the course is to promote the fundamental concepts associated with healthy living through the lifespan. The course teaches the knowledge, skills, organisation and rules of the selected skiing sports activities to help each student develop a lasting interest in lifetime participation and to attain and maintain a degree of physical fitness. The course is designed to provide students with entry-level knowledge of selected skiing sports and the potential to inspire others to participate. After the course students will be able to demonstrate understanding of basic skills, coaching, rules and competition strategies in the selected skiing sports.
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
The course will be delivered in English and will consist of lectures, practical workshops, seminars, presentations, field-based visits, group work and independent study.
Practical examination of basic skills and leadership in the selected skiing sports, as well as basic fitness testing.
Written report, oral presentation and written test.
A student who has passed an examination or course is not allowed re-examination in order to gain a higher grade.
Link to the grading criteria: www.miun.se/betygskriterier
The number of examinations are limited to 3.
Fail (U) or Pass (G)
Author: Ljung, Lars
Title: Grunder i längdskidåkning - klassiskt och skejt
Publisher: SISU Idrottsböcker