Mechanical Engineering MA, Master thesis, 30 credits
Subject/Main field: Maskinteknik
Cycle: Second cycle
Progressive specialization: A2E - Second cycle, contains degree project for Master of Arts/Master of Science (120 credits)
Answerable department: Quality Management and Mechanical Engineering
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Science, Technology and Media
Date of change: 4/5/2019
Version valid from: 8/15/2019
The aim of the course is that the student, by working with and reporting a larger independent research project, should gain in-depth knowledge of the research process, scientific theories, methods and techniques relevant to the project.
After successfully completing the course the student will be able to:
- present and discuss the addressed issue
- present results
- monitor, reflect on and evaluate project implementation
- discuss their own results in relation to the research field
- refer to other works properly
- make assessments with consideration to relevant scientific, social and ethical aspects, and demonstrate awareness of relevant ethical aspects of research and development in the field of mechanical engineering
- demonstrate insight into the possibilities and limitations of science, its own role in society and people's responsibility for how it is used
- identify their his/her own need of further knowledge and take responsibility for developing their own knowledge.
Writing a scientific article (at a publishable level), or a report, based on a previously performed, independent research or development project.
Examples of elements that may be present:
- Data handling and analysis
- Reporting of the results, orally and in written form
- Presenting and discussing the results in relation to the particular field of research or development
Mechanical Engineering MA, Scientific Project II, 15 credits, or equivalent.
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
The thesis can be written either individually or in cooperation with other project members (students, senior researchers and / or project partners). The effort should be approximately 800 hours, most of which are independent work with supervision.
28.0 credits, R101: Thesis (written in English)
Grade: A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F. A-E is Approved, Fx and F is Fail.
2.0 credits, M101: Oral presentation
Grade: Passed (P) or Fail (F).
0,0 hp, X101: Publication in DIVA
Grade: Passed (P) or Fail (F).
Grading criteria for the subject can be found at www.miun.se/gradingcriteria.
The examiner has the right to offer alternative examination arrangements to students who have been granted the right to special support by Mid Sweden University’s disabilities adviser.
The grades A, B, C, D, E, Fx and F are given on the course. On this scale the grades A through E represent pass levels, whereas Fx and F represent fail levels.
Litteratur lämplig för projektets genomförande väljs i samråd med handledare och består bland annat av forskningsartiklar.
Appropriate literature selected in agreement with the supervisor and consists mainly of research articles.
This course can not be used in the same degree as MT001A or MT028A.