Curriculum: Master in Tourism, 120 credits, 120 credits
Cycle: Second cycle
Ref no: Miun 2006/1873
Answerable department: Department of Tourism Studies and Geography
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Latest review: 6/10/2013
Version valid from: 8/17/2011
The Master Programme in Tourism aims to give students thorough subject knowledge, and the ability to apply their knowledge in independent scientific work. The training aims to provide the necessary skills for jobs in companies and organisations in the tourism sector, in Sweden but also globally.
In addition to the general learning goals specified 1 Ch 8§ by the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, the following learning goals (of the department) apply to the one year masters program in Tourism Studies:
After successfully concluding the programme, students will:
• Demonstrate knowledge and understanding within the main field, including both an overview of the area and advanced knowledge in central terms and relationships within tourism, also including a deeper insight into current research and development fields,
• demonstrate deeper methodological and scientific knowledge of Tourism Studies,
• have the ability through their own work to develop the integration of knowledge to deal with complex problems and to formulate judgments based on scientific approaches,
• communicate findings and the underlying knowledge to tourism specialists and professionals as well as less technical audiences - nationally and internationally.
• have developed the ability to study independently to participate in advanced scientific research and development activities,
• be able to apply scientific methods and approaches in response to needs for new knowledge in tourism as well as needs for development of further expertise within the field.
Each course will have its specific learning outcomes, specified in the course syllabus.
Tourism Studies MA/Tourism Research, 15 Credits
Tourism Studies MA/ Sustainable Nature & Culture Based Tourism, 15 Credits
Human Geography/Tourism Studies MA, Theory and Methodology, 15 Credits
Tourism Studies MA, Tourism in the Experience Society, 15 Credits
Tourism Studies MA, Advanced Destination Development, I, 15 Credits
Human Geography MA, Advanced Destination Development, II, 15 Credits
Human Geography/Tourism Studies MA, Master Thesis, 30 Credits
A Bachelor’s degree (at least 180 Credits), with 90 Credits within the main field of Human Geography, Tourism Studies or equivalent, and English Course B from Swedish Upper Secondary School (Gymnasium). This can be proven by for example the following international English tests:
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 575 on a paper based test and not below 4.5 on the TWE.
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 90 on internet based test and not below 20 on the TWE.
- IELTS Academic Training with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score on the specific parts of at least 5.5
Descripion of programme
The Master in Tourism focuses on students who seek a transition from an academic to a professional working life.
The Master’s Programme is rooted in the strong tourism education tradition and the research environment at Mid Sweden University. The programme focuses on Destination development, The experience society and Nature and Culture based tourism. The programme concludes with a Master's thesis.
After completed the program, the student can have a Master of Science with a major in Tourism, or, in Tourism Studies, or, in Human Geography. The Theory and Methodology course as well as the Master Thesis must be chosen within the same discipline.
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Programme with restricted admissions
Specific prerequisites are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Teaching and examination
Teaching methods are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Assessment methods are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Title of qualification
Degree of Master of Arts/Science (120 credits)
Masterexamen med huvudområdet turism alternativt
Masterexamen med huvudområdet turismvetenskap alternativt
Masterexamen med huvudområdet kulturgeografi
Degree of Master of Science (120 credits) with a major in Tourism or
Degree of Master of Science (120 credits) with a major in Tourism Studies or
Degree of Master of Science (120 credits) with a major in Human Geography