Curriculum: Master (one year) in Tourism Studies 60 Credits, 60 credits
Cycle: Second cycle
Ref no: Miun 2006/1865
Answerable department: Department of Tourism Studies and Geography
Answerable faculty: Faculty of Human Sciences
Latest review: 6/10/2013
Version valid from: 7/3/2013
The Master’s Programme (one year) in Tourism Studies aims to provide students with deeper subject knowledge, to provide the ability to apply knowledge in independent scientific work and to prepare for further research studies.
In addition to the general learning goals specified 1 Ch 8§ by the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, the following learning goals (of the department) apply to the one year masters program in Tourism Studies:
Upon completion of the course, students shall demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the following issues:
• core topics in Tourism Studies, including a broad overview of the discipline as well as advanced knowledge of key theories and concepts , including insight into current research and development,
• deeper methodological and scientific knowledge of Tourism Studies,
Upon completion of the course, students shall demonstrate the following skills and abilities:
• apply knowledge and understanding based on an acquired skill to solve problems in new contexts within Tourism Studies,
• integrate knowledge and address complex problems within tourism as well as make informed judgments based on scientific principles,
• communicate findings and the underlying knowledge to tourism specialists and , professionals as well as less technical audiences.
• to participate in advanced scientific research and development activities,
• apply scientific methods and approaches in response to needs for new knowledge in tourism as well as needs for development of further expertise within the field.
The first semester includes two courses in Tourism Studies:
Tourism Research, 15 Credits
Sustainable Nature & Culture Based Tourism, 15 Credits
The second semester includes two courses in Tourism OR Human Geography. The courses must be chosen within the same discipline to fulfill requirements for a major in Tourism Studies or Human Geography, respectively.
Theory and Methodology, 15 Credits
Thesis, 15 Credits
A Bachelor’s degree (at least 180 Credits) with 90 Credits within the main field of Human Geography, Tourism Studies or equivalent and English course B from Swedish Upper Secondary School (Gymnasium). This can be proven by, for example, the following international tests:
- TOEFL with a minimum score of 575 on a paper based test and not below 4.5 on the TWE,
TOEFL with a minimum score of 90 on a internet based test and not below 20 on the TWE.
- IELTS Academic Training with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score on the specific parts of at least 5.5
Descripion of programme
The Master’s Programme (one year) in Tourism Studies at Mid Sweden University consists of a first semester with courses in Tourism Studies. The second semester includes courses in the theory and method of science and a Master’s thesis. The programme prepares students for post-graduate studies.
Selection rules and procedures
The selectionprocess is in accordance with the Higher Education Ordinance and the local order of admission.
Programme with restricted admissions
Specific prerequisites are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Teaching and examination
Teaching methods are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Assessment methods are indicated in the syllabus for each course.
Title of qualification
Degree of Master of Arts/Science (60 credits)
Magisterexamen med huvudområdet turismvetenskap alternativt kulturgeografi
Degree of Master of Science (60 credits) with a major in Tourism Studies or Human Geography.