I have received my PhD in Mechanical Engineering from University of Saskatchewan, Canada in August 2015. I have also completed my MSc and BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Minnesota State University, Mankato, USA in 2010 and Military Institute of Science and Technology, Bangladesh in 2006, respectively.
Area of interest
My research interest includes computational fluid dynamics, heat and mass transfer, modelling and simulation of in vitro tissue culture process, lattice Boltzmann method, fibre network design, particle methods etc.
I am currently working in the project – “Fibre Network Design: Applications to Hygiene Products” with Prof. Tetsu Uesaka. In this project I am involved in modelling of the fibre network structures and investigating the mechanics of the fibre network using the particle methods. I am also involved in modelling and simulation of the transport of complex fluids through the porous fibre network, which is another major task of this project.
List of Publications
1. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. A mathematical model and computational framework for three-dimensional chondrocyte cell growth in a porous tissue scaffold placed inside a bi-directional flow perfusion bioreactor. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, DOI: 10.1002/bit.25678.
2. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Visualization and analysis of large-scale vortex structures in three-dimensional turbulent lid-driven cavity flow. Journal of Turbulence, 16(10):901-924, 2015.
3. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Computational modelling of the scaffold-free chondrocyte regeneration: a two-way coupling between the cell growth and local fluid flow and nutrient concentration. Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology, DOI: 10.1007/s10237-015-0666-0, 2015.
4. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Fluid flow and mass transfer over circular strands using the lattice Boltzmann method. Heat and Mass Transfer, 51(10):1493–1504, 2015.
5. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Modelling and simulation of the chondrocyte cell growth, glucose consumption and lactate production within a porous tissue scaffold inside a perfusion bioreactor. Biotechnology Reports, 5: 55-62, 2015.
6. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Prediction of cell growth rate over scaffold strands inside the perfusion bioreactor. Biomechanics and Modelling in Mechanobiology, 14(2): 333-444, 2015.
7. Hossain, M.S., Chen, X.B., Bergstrom D.J. Investigation of the in vitro culture process for skeletal-tissue-engineered constructs using computational fluid dynamics and experimental methods. ASME Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 134: 121003(1-12), 2012.
8. Hossain, M.S., Daidzic, N.E. The shear driven fluid motion using oscillating boundaries. ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, 134: 051203-(1-12), 2012.
1. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Prediction of cell growth over a circular strand of a scaffold using the lattice Boltzmann method. 12th International conference on Nanochannels, Microchannels and Minichannels, Chicago, IL, USA, August 3-7, 2014.
2. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Effect of Shear Stress and Nutrient Concentration on the Cell Growth Rate at the Surface of a Circular Tissue Scaffold Strand. 7th World Congress of Biomechanics, July 6-11, 2014, Boston, USA.
3. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. and Chen, X.B. Simulation of flow past a circular cylinder using the lattice Boltzmann method. 24th Canadian Congress of Applied Mechanics, Saskatoon, SK, Canada, June 2-5, 2013.
4. Hossain, M.S., Chakravarty, R., Bergstrom, D.J., Samani, M., Chen, X.B., Sumner, D. Vortex structures in three-dimensional lid driven cavity flow. 7th International Symposium on Turbulence, Heat and Mass Transfer (THMT12), Palermo, Italy, September 24-27, 2012.
5. Hossain, M.S., Bergstrom, D.J. Chen, X.B. Prediction of 3D transitional lid-driven cavity flow using the lattice Boltzmann method. 20th Annual Conference of the CFD Society of Canada, Canmore, Alberta, May 9-12, 2012
6. Daidzic, N.E., Hossain, M.S. The Model of Micro-Fluidic Pump with Vibrating Boundaries. in: Proc. of the 14th International Conference on Applied Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering AMME-14, Paper AM-054, Cairo, Egypt, May 25-27, 2010.