This preliminary study of new semiconductor materials and processing methods to be used in printed electronics is expected to provide new kinds of electronic components and manufacturing methods. The need for this technology can be found in large industries in the region of Mid Sweden University such as the paper industry, printing technology industry and with companies in electronics production.
Background / Objectives
This is a prestudy to evaluate the ability on printable/coating semiconductors on thin flexible substrates. Depending on the application, the search will be made for optimal thin-film systems. Unlike the high-tech, hardly scalable semiconductor industry, the aim of this prestudy is the potential for a scalable technology with roots in the region business and industry.
The goal of the study is to examine:
- What types of substrate can be considered?
- What forms of deposition technique are semiconductors for large areas?
- How quickly can the deposit be made?
- What types of semiconductors best suited depending on the application?
- Thermoelectric Generators
- Radiation sensors for dental X-ray
- How thick layers can be added?
- How is patterned semiconductor layers in the best way with push technology?
- What do they have in literature described semiconductor layers had?
- What opportunities are there for the recycling of waste products?
Pilot study results can be used by:
- The international scientific community in the form of review article.
- The collaborating groups that formulate regional project alto. projects in the Horizon in 2020.
- Graduate students and students in relevant training programs at Mid Sweden University.
The pretudy is expected to provide new kinds of electronic components and manufacturing methods. It also allows existing companies to find new ways to get returns on their products. New company can be regionally formed and produce components with good profitability and creates a new job market. The technique is well suited to be used by companies in the region.
The prestudy can be linked to industries in Mid Sweden University´s region such as; paper industry, printing technology industry and Hammlet electronics production in Hammarstrand. Mid Sweden University have a close cooperation with Åkroken Science Park who helps new companies to be formed, spread information to relevant companies and enables new contacts can be linked together, in an organized way, which provides an invaluable help when projects should be formulated.