Please note that you may have to apply for a Visa or Residence Permit to be allowed to study in Sweden. The authority responsible in Sweden is Migrationsverket– the Swedish Migration Board.

Nordic Citizens
Citizens from Nordic countries do not need a visa or residence permit to study in Sweden.

EU/EEA Citizens
As an EU/EEA citizen you are allowed to stay in Sweden and study without a residence permit. Please note that if you are a citizen of Switzerland you must apply for a residence permit.

Non EU/EEA Citizens
Non-EU/EEA citizens must have been granted a student residence permit before entering Sweden. In order for students to have their permit in time to start their programme, it is essential to apply for the permit immediately following the letter of admission from the university. Students apply for a student residence permit at the nearest Swedish Embassy or consulate in their home country before leaving.

Proof of admission

Exchange students
Exchange students receive a Notification of Selection Results (Confirmation of Enrollment) from University Admissions. This document is a valid letter of acceptance and can be submitted with your visa/residence permit application.

Programme students
Programme students will receive a Notification of Selection Result from University Admissions. This document is a valid letter of acceptance (letter of admission) and can be submitted with your visa/residence permit application.

Supporting documents for fee-paying students

If you are a fee paying student, Mid Sweden University will notify the Swedish Migration Board when the tuition fee payment is received and the Swedish Migration Board will then process your application. Students do not need to send in a receipt of payment to the Swedish Migration Board.

Fee-paying students at Mid Sweden University are covered by comprehensive insurance called FAS+ issued by Kammarkollegiet. After receiving your tuition fee payment, a confirmation e-mail will be sent. Your insurance certificate will be attached in the e-mail and should be sent to the Swedish Migration Board with your application for a residence permit.

Swedish Migration Board

Mid Sweden University is not involved in the processing of residence permit applications. Questions about migration is answered by the Swedish Migration Agency. Swedish Migration Agency Central Office, phone: + 46 (0)771 235 235.

Read more

Living in Sweden as a Nordic citizen
Studying in Sweden as a EU citizen
Studying in Sweden as a Non-EU citizen