Admission to third‑cycle studies

Find out about application, admission and the rate of study. Information on non-completion and suspension is also provided here.

hand, skriver, test, prov

Admission to third-cycle studies

Instructions for applicants

Under the Higher Education Ordinance, the number of research students that may be admitted to third level education is limited to the number that can be offered supervision and acceptable conditions for study in other respects, and who have funding for their studies.

The most common form of funding for studies is a doctoral studentship at Mid Sweden University, but there are also doctoral students who are employed by external employers.

For admission as a third-cycle student, the doctoral student and supervisor are required to fill in the documentation consisting of the form below, including annexes. Decisions on admission to third-cycle education in the Faculty of Human Sciences are made by the Council for Third-Cycle Education on a proposal from the research faculty.

Application for admission to third circle studies

Admission to licentiate or doctoral degree

You may be admitted to third-cycle studies with the aim of obtaining a licentiate or doctoral degree.

Licentiate studies amount to 120 higher education credits and comprise 2 years of full-time study.

Doctoral studies amount to 240 higher education credits and comprise 4 years of full-time study.

There is also an option for those holding a licentiate qualification or equivalent to apply for admission to the later part of doctoral studies, which then means 2 years of full-time study leading to a doctoral degree.

Pace of study

Third-cycle studies can be undertaken at varying pace. If studies are undertaken at 100% pace of study, it takes 2 years to obtain a licentiate degree and 4 years to obtain a doctoral degree. The minimum permitted pace of study for doctoral students is 50%.

In a doctoral studentship, up to 20% can be devoted to departmental duties (usually teaching). This means that you are employed 100% as a doctoral student but that your study pace may range between 80 and 100%.

A pace of study of 80% is most common for doctoral students at Mid-Sweden University, i.e. it is estimated to take 2.5 years to obtain a licentiate degree and 5 years to obtain a doctoral degree.

It is important as a doctoral student to discuss your pace of study with your supervisor and also the director of studies for your subjects, who is the person who plans personnel. Remember that as a doctoral student you are not allowed to work overtime.

Mid Sweden University annually reports figures on pace of study to Statistics Sweden. The figures are taken automatically from the duty planning system for doctoral students employed at Mid Sweden University. Doctoral students employed by other employers will receive a form to complete. Registration for third-cycle education takes place at the same time as the degree of activity is reported in Ladok.

Changes to pace of study

Changes may take place in your planned pace of study. As a doctoral student you are entitled to time off due to illness, parental leave or other reason governed by Chapter 6, Section 29 of the Higher Education Ordinance.

Discontinuation and withdrawal of resources

Non-completion of third-cycle education

If you do not intend to continue with your third-cycle studies, you are required to notify the faculty in writing that you wish to resign your place in third-cycle education.

If you wish to discontinue your studies, inform Sara Häggström in the faculty office. Use this form: Notification of non-completion of third-cycle education

Withdrawal of resources

Under the Higher Education Ordinance, a vice-chancellor may decide to withdraw the doctoral student's right to supervision and other resources. This may happen if the doctoral student, to a material extent, disregards their commitments under the individual study plan.


Sara Häggström

Fakultetshandläggare|Faculty Administrative Officer

+46 (0)10-1726526

The page was updated 3/3/2022