Prevent unpleasant surprises and make sure you have insurance that cover yourself, your property and your accommodation during your stay.

You need insurance for your accommodation and third-part liability. If your property gets stolen or your room gets damaged during your rental period, the landlord will hold you accountable for covering the repair.

Health insurance guidelines
These guidelines vary depending on your country of citizenship. Read more about insurance at StudyinSweden.

Medical Insurance

In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive, especially without insurance. During your study period at Mid Sweden University you are covered by an insurance plan that includes emergency medical and dental care. Since only emergency visits are covered we recommend you have a medical and dental check-up before leaving for Sweden. If you need to see a doctor, go to the nearest Public Health Centre, Hälsocentral. If you need to consult a dentist in Sweden, go to your nearest public dental clinic, Folktandvården.

During leisure time

EU/EEA Citizens

EU citizens should bring the European Health Insurance card. The card entitles you to health care at the same conditions and prices as Swedish citizens and must be brought at all visits to a medical facility. EU citizens studying for more than one calender year or longer are advised to apply for Swedish Personal number (personnummer) at the Swedish National Tax Board (Skatteverket).

Non EU/EEA Citizens  

Staying one calender year or longer
If you belong to this category and have a residence permit valid for more than 12 months, you are advised to apply for a Swedish Personal Number issued by the Swedish National Tax Board. This entitles you to medical care at a standard patient fee (same as for Swedish citizens). Before receiving your Swedish Personal Number, you are insured by the Swedish State Insurance Agency (Kammerkollegiet) through FAS plus. This insurance covers emergency medical and dental care 14 days before the semester starts until you get your Swedish Personal Number. More information on insurance terms and conditions.

Staying less than a year
If you have a residence permit valid for less than one year you are not entitled to a Swedish Personal Number and the civic benefits that such a number provides. Instead you are covered by the Swedish State Insurance Agency (Kammerkollegiet) through FAS plus during the programme and 14 days before and after the programme start and end dates. This insurance covers emergency medical and dental care. More information on insurance terms and conditions.

All tuition fee-paying students at Mid Sweden University are covered by comprehensive insurance called FAS Plus issued by Kammarkollegiet. The insurance pays for necessary and reasonable costs for emergency medical care or dental care when the insured, during the policy term, suffers illness or has an accident. The insurance applies during the education period as well as two weeks prior to the start of studies and two weeks after the end of studies. After tuition fee payment is made an insurance certificate will be sent to the student. This certificate should be sent to the Swedish Migration Board with your application for a residence permit. The insurance also applies for fee paying students who have been awarded the Mid Sweden University Tuition fee Scholarhips. 

All European programme students that do not pay tuition are insured in their first academic year at Mid Sweden University through Kammarkollegiet's Student IN insurance (which is the same as exchange students have). We do, however, strongly recommend that you bring your EU health card.

Insurance for Exchange students

Exchange students are covered by the insurance Student IN. This includes, for example, accident cover, cover for certain medical expenses (where no other cover exists/EU card) and liability cover. Note that this insurance is valid only in Sweden. If travelling to other countries you must arrange your own insurance coverage.

For EU-citizens:
- The European Health Insurance Card.

For Non-EU citizens:
-The Swedish Tax Agency.

Insurance information can be found at Kammarkollegiet:

For exchange students and European program students:
- Please read the detailed content carefully at Student IN -terms and conditions.

For fee-paying students:
- Please read the detailed content carefully at FAS plus -terms and conditions.