Recruitment of doctoral students from outside the EU/EEA

The process for recruiting doctoral students from abroad following a decision to employ a certain individual.


  1. A decision is made to employ a certain doctoral student, according to the applicable decision-making and delegation scheme.

  2. The faculty office issues a formal decision regarding an appointment for postgraduate education.

  3. The department head writes and sends a supplementary certificate of employment to the student regarding the doctoral position.

    Link to certificate template
    Checklist from the Swedish Migration Board

  4. Terms of employment are sent to the HR administrator using the administration form. Complete everything apart from the coordination/Swedish personal identity number.

  5. The doctoral student applies for a residence permit for doctoral students, along with a visa if applicable, using the Swedish Migration Board's e-service or via a Swedish consulate or embassy in their country of residence. In principle, the first time a doctoral student applies for a permit, he or she must have it granted before travelling to Sweden. The total turnaround time depends on whether the application is complete, the workload at the relevant embassy or consulate, and the workload at the Swedish Migration Board. It is most common for processing to take between three and six months, but if anything has been filled in incorrectly or any details left out, it can take an additional two months. It is therefore important that applications are done correctly and submitted in good time.

    For residence permits that last less than one year, it is required that the individual has comprehensive health insurance.

    Further information about residence permits 
    Further information about visas
    Further information about insurance

  6. The Swedish Migration Board informs the department head when an application has been approved. A copy of the residence permit is sent to the HR administrator and kept in the employee record.

  7. The HR administrator sends a notification to the Swedish Tax Agency regarding the employment of a foreign worker.
    The administrator simultaneously applies for:
    A-tax – if the appointment is for more than six months.
    Special income tax for non-residents – if the appointment is shorter than six months.

    Further information about taxation rules

  8. The Swedish Tax Agency sends a coordination number to the HR administrator. This can take up to eight weeks, depending on the workload at the Swedish Tax Agency. The HR administrator thereafter writes a certificate of employment. Salary cannot be paid until the doctoral student has received his or her coordination number.

    Further information about coordination numbers and Swedish personal identity numbers

  9. The department head is responsible for the induction process for the new doctoral student.

  10. The doctoral student applies for an ID card from the Swedish Tax Agency and registers with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

    Link to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency

  11. For appointments of more than a year: the doctoral student visits the Swedish Tax Agency for national registration. 

    Further information about national registration

  12. When the doctoral student has received his or her ID card, they can apply for a bank account.

  13. Doctoral students have the possibility of applying for student accommodation. For more information, see our pages about student accommodation.

    Studentwebben/Ny student/Bostadsgaranti