Recruitment of researchers from outside the EU/EEA

The process of recruiting researchers from abroad, where research constitutes more than 50% of the position. Such positions could include visiting researchers, postdoctoral researchers etc. If the researcher's period of employment is shorter than three months, no residence permit is required.

  1. A decision is made to employ a certain researcher, according to the decision-making and delegation scheme.

  2. Terms of employment are sent to the HR administrator using the administration form. Complete everything apart from the coordination/Swedish personal identity number.

  3. With the help of the HR administrator, the department head draws up a hosting agreement for researchers in Sweden.

    Hosting agreement template

  4. The department head sends the hosting agreement to the employee.

  5. The employee applies for a residence permit and visa (if applicable) using the Swedish Migration Board's e-service or via a Swedish consulate or embassy in their country of residence. The hosting agreement must be enclosed with the application. In principle, the first time a researcher applies for a permit, he or she must have it granted before travelling to Sweden. The total turnaround time depends on whether the application is complete, the workload at the relevant embassy or consulate, and the workload at the Swedish Migration Board. It is most common for processing to take between three and six months, but if something is wrong with the application, it can take several months longer. It is therefore important that applications are made in good time.

    For residence permits that last less than one year, it is required that the individual has comprehensive health insurance.

    Further information about residence permits
    Further information about visas
    Further information about insurance

  6. The Swedish Migration Board informs the employee and the department head if an application has been approved. A copy of the residence permit is sent as soon as possible to the HR administrator and kept in the employee record. The employee can now begin planning for their move to Sweden.

  7. The HR administrator sends a notification to the Swedish Tax Agency regarding the employment of a foreign worker. The administrator simultaneously applies for: 
    A-tax – when an appointment is for more than six months.
    Special income tax for non-residents – when an appointment is shorter than six months.

    Further information about taxation rules

  8. The Swedish Tax Agency sends a coordination number to the HR administrator. This can take up to eight weeks, depending on the workload at the Swedish Tax Agency. The HR administrator thereafter writes a certificate of employment. Salary cannot be paid until the employee has received his or her coordination number.

    Further information about coordination numbers and Swedish personal identity numbers

  9. The department head is responsible for the induction process for the new employee.

  10. The employee applies for an ID card from the Swedish Tax Agency and registers with the Swedish Social Insurance Agency.

    Link to the Swedish Social Insurance Agency

  11. For appointments of more than a year: the employee visits the Swedish Tax Agency for national registration. 

    Further information about national registration

  12. When the employee has received his or her ID card, they can apply for a bank account.