FAQ Teaching and Learning in Higher Education

Here you can find frequently asked questions concerning the courses in teaching and learning in higher education.

Application and prerequisites

What are the prerequisites?

You should have a university degree. The courses in teaching and learning in higher education correspond to advanced level, which means that at least a bachelor's degree is recommended. You do not need any credits in pedagogy or teaching experience to register for the first three courses or the eligable courses, even though it might be good to have some teaching experience.

The course Educational development project is the only one that has prerequisites. To register, you need to have taken at least two of the other courses or other courses in teaching and learning in higher education corresponding to 6 credits.


How do I apply?

You will find the application forms for each course respectively on the web course pages. There will be up to twenty participants in each course. First come, first served. Registration is done no later than one month before the course starts. If the course is fully booked, you will be placed in queue for the next round. Your registration will be confirmed by an automatic e-mail, and later on you will receive an e-mail from the course coordinator about whether you have received a place or not. The registration opens in late February for courses in the fall and in early October for courses in the spring.

Do I need to talk to the Head of my department in case I want to apply to one of your courses?

Yes, you should talk to your manager before you register. This is important in order for you to plan the time required for participation. The courses run at quarter speed, so you need to set aside about ten hours a week.

Can I use my working hours to study?

Yes, at least to a certain degree. As a full-time employee, five percent of your working hours are set aside for skill enhancement. Talk to your manager about how to solve the time aspect.

General course information

How much time do I need in order to complete a course?

Each course comprises two weeks of full-time studies at quarter speed, equivalent to three course credits. This means that the courses usually run for a period of eight weeks. You need to set aside about ten hours a week. The course Educational Development Project, however, has a slower pace of study and lasts for a total of sixteen weeks (see course description).

Should I take the courses in a specific order?

To a certain degree, yes. We recommend that you start with the compulsory course Prerequisites for teaching in higher education, which runs in the autumn. Two of the other compulsory courses, The teacher and the teaching process and The student and the learning process can be taken in the order that suits you best. The only requirement is that you must have taken at least two of these three compulsory courses before you apply for the course Pedagogical Development Project, as some theoretical knowledge is required for that course. Pedagogical development work is currently given in the spring. The elegible courses are completely independent and can be taken when it suits you. 

Are the courses campus or distance learning courses?

The courses are flexible so that it is possible to participate both on campus and at a distance. In each course description you can find information about how many teacher-led meetings there are and whether the meetings are given on campus or online. Most courses have an introductory meeting on campus, and a few meetings online.

Due to prevailing circumstances (autumn 2020 and spring 2021), however, the courses are given completely online.

What tools are used in the courses?

The courses will be given via the learning management system Moodle. Both the university´s video conference system and Zoom will be used as e-meeting tools. When joining Zoom meetings, you need a headset. Other tools may also be used in the different courses, information is provided at the latest at the start of the course.

Why should I take courses in teaching and learning in higher education?

You should take the courses in order to gain the teaching qualifications for higher education and to be able to gain permanent employment as a university teacher at Mid Sweden University. There is a national regulation through the recommendations of SUHF (the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions) that the qualifying education comprises 10 weeks (equivalent to 15 credits). If you are interested in further development and in teacher accreditation, you can take several eligible advanced courses in teaching and learning in higher education.

You find information about the recommendations here.

I have worked as a university teacher for several years. Do I need to study teaching and learning in higher education?

Yes, you need to have studied at least 15 credits in teaching and learning in higher education even if you have experience from teaching in higher education. This is regulated recommendation for professional training for academic teaching by SUHF and in appointments procedure for teachers at Mid Sweden University.

You will find the SUHF recommendations (Rek 2016:1) here.

See appointments procedure for teachers at Mid Sweden University here.

Where can I find information concerning the course content and the learning outcomes?

There will be links to the course descriptions from this page from week 9 (the last week of February).

The Department of Education also offers a course in teaching and learning, Högskolepedagogik och flexibelt lärande, 15 credits. Shall I choose that course or courses offered by the Division of Research and Educational Support?

Both courses follow the recommendations of SUHF and are at advanced level, so it does not matter which one you choose. Both courses are qualifying for en employment as a university teacher.

However, there are some differences in layout and admissions. The course offered by the Department of Education runs at quarter speed during one academic year, giving you 15 credits. The course has national admission and you apply in competition with others. The students come from different parts of Sweden and have different backgrounds.

The courses offered by the Division of Research and Educational Support also run at quarter speed, but you do not need to study the equivalent of 15 credits all at once. The training consists of five shorter courses where you can to some extent influence the order of the courses and their orientation. All participants are employed at Mid Sweden University and right now there are no other admission rules than "first come, first served". The courses do not give any credits, but the certificate shows the extent and how many credits it corresponds to. See also the question Do I get any credits for taking these courses? in this FAQ.

Results and course certificate

Do I get any credits for taking these courses?

No, not automatically, but the courses correspond to a certain amount of credits. According to  SUHF (the Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions), professional training for academic teaching comprises a total of at least ten weeks' full-time studies (15 ECTS). The training at Mid Sweden University is divided into two-weeks-courses, so you should take five courses in order to receive a certificate of higher education teaching qualifications.

What is required for a course certificate?

You need to pass all the assessments within a course. The certificate will be sent to you automatically after a completed course. 

Credit transfer

I have 15 credits in teaching and learning in higher education from another university, but will soon start working at Mid Sweden University. Do I need to study any more courses?

According to the recommendations from SUHF (The Association of Swedish Higher Education Institutions; Rek 2016:1), courses in teaching and learning in higher education from any Swedish university should be acknowledged by all other Swedish higher education institutions. This means that you are authorized to teach at all Swedish universities, regardless of whether the courses were given credits or if they were given as staff training courses.