Applying for Exchange Studies- Admission

Who can come here for exchange studies?

To come to Mid Sweden University as an exchange student your home university must have signed a formal exchange agreement with Mid Sweden University. Contact the coordinator at your home university to find out if such an agreement exists and if you can be nominated as an exchange student. The length of the exchange period is determined by the agreement between Mid Sweden University and the student's home university, but the maximum is always two semesters.

Visit for more information regarding nomination and application procedure 

How does the nomination process work?

The coordinator at your home university has to nominate you for exchange studies at Mid Sweden University by filling out an online nomination form during the nomination period. The link to the form is not published online, it is sent by e-mail to your coordinator. 

Nomination period
Autumn semester: March 1- April 1
Spring semester: September 1- October 1 

How do I apply?

When your home university has submitted the online nomination and after the nomination deadline has passed, you will receive application instructions and a personal application link to the web page where you apply for courses.

Please note that it is not possible to apply for courses directly on Univeristy Admissions website. You must wait until your nomination has been approved by mid Sweden University, and you have received an application link from us which will take you to the website where you can apply for courses. We normally do not process nominations until the nomination deadline has passed, so don't be surprised if you haven't received any application instructions until then.  

When will I receive my Notification of Admission?

The Notification of Selection Results is your notification of admission  and can be printed from your user account at University Admissions. Your Notification of Selection Results is available as a PDF on “Your pages" and serves as an official Letter of Admission to Mid Sweden University. Please note that we will not mail your admissions results. It is available in your account on University Admissions.  

Please note that you cannot apply for student housing or apply for residence permit or visa until you have received your Notification of Selection Results. 

What kind of language skills do I need?

We don't require exchange students to submit any English language certificates. We do however exspect that you have a sufficient level of English so that studying in English won't be an issue during the exchange. 

How many credits are needed to study full-time?

Full-time studies at Mid Sweden University is 30 credits per semester. We exspect exchange students to be enrolled in fulltime studies of 30 credits during their exchange. 

Important! International students must be admitted to full-time studies, or at least 30 credits per semester, in order to obtain a residence permit for studies in Sweden by the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket).  

Which courses can I choose?

Please note that even though it is possible to apply for any of the courses in the course catalogue, applications to courses in subjects where there is no agreement with your department may not be accepted.

We ask all partner universities to ensure that they nominate their students in the subject stated in the partnership agreement and that they inform their students that this is the subject in which they can apply for courses. This is to ensure students don’t end up in a situation where they cannot find suitable courses for their exchange. You should first apply for courses within the subject of the agreement. Should you want to study something else, your home institution must contact us in advance to check availability.

Students coming from university wide agreements are not tied to a specific department and can choose courses at any department unless specified otherwise. 

Is there anything I need to consider when choosing courses?

Östersund campus and Sundsvall campus are located 180 kilometres apart. Therefore, it is important that you select courses at one campus only, and make sure that you have a sufficient number of courses for the duration of the semester. Exchange students are required to apply for fulltime studies with a course selection  of 30 credits. 

In many countries, it is common to take several courses simultaneously during the entire semester. At Mid Sweden University, it is most common to take courses consecutively, i.e., one course after the other during the semester.

  • Course load
    Full-time studies at Mid Sweden University is 30 credits per semester. You may enroll in courses of a total of 30 credits during one semester. The exception is the Swedish Language course, which you may enroll in on top of a ­full course load since this course is pre-university level.

  • Study period
    When choosing courses, please note which period the course is given and the study pace, to avoid schedule clashes. Our semester is divided into four periods of 5 weeks each. You should aim to have a study pace of 100% for the whole semester. Full-time courses are usually taken one after the other (consecutive scheduling) alternately, if the courses are part time, two courses may be taken during the same period (parallel scheduling).

  • Study pace
    Courses are given at different study pace. Full-time studies (100 %) equals approximately 40 hours a week. Some courses are given at half time (50 %) or part-time (25 %), which means that the work load is approximately 20 hours and 10 hours per week. Therefore, half-time and part-time courses run for a longer period than a full-time course.

Are there any entry requiremens?

The admission of exchange students is granted to qualified students nominated by their home university within the subject of the agreement. However, the student must fulfill the general requirements for admission and the specific entry requirements for the chosen courses. Entry requirements are listed in the course syllabus. Make sure you check if there are any prerequisites so that you are aware of any course requirements before you submit your course application.  

Read more about general entry requirements.

Can you tell me beforehand if I can be exempted from some of the entry requirements?

The Admissions Office is unable to perform a preliminary assessment of your admissions application and corresponding documentation. We cannot tell you if you will be considered exempt from certain requirements beforehand. 

Only by submmitting your course application you will receive a formal notification of admission.

The best way to assure that you meet the requirements is to carefully read what is needed on the course description information on the course website and submit everything that is listed.


How will I know if everything is OK with the documentation I submitted on University Admissions?

Applicants aren't notified that everything is OK with their documents; you'll be notified only if there is something more that is required.

If you're wondering when your documents arrived, you can check the 'Documents' section when you log in to your account. If you uploaded your documents, you'll see a list of the files that you submitted to University Admissions. 

Please note that the application review process takes time. Due to the number of applications we receive, the application review process can take some time. Please note that an evaluation of your application does not automatically occur as soon as your documents are received. The application review process takes place up until the selection process, which occurs right before admissions results are posted. We appreciate your patience while the review process is completed.

I am interested in PhD studies, where can I find more information?

If you are interested to coming here for PhD studies within the Erasmus+ framework, your home institution must first contact the department where there is an agreement and check availability before nominating you for exchange studies. If the department confirms availability to host you for PhD studies, your home institution nominates you in the regular nomination and application period for exchange studies and you will receive further information regarding exchange studies once your nomination is in the nomination platform.

More information regarding nomination and application procedure can be found here: MIUN Exchange Studies 


Education system

Credit system

A full-time workload is 30 credits per semester and 60 credits per academic year in Sweden. Exchange students are expected to take 30 academic credits per semester at Mid Sweden University. 

Grading system at Mid Sweden University

Two main grading scales are used at Mid Sweden University. It is up to the Faculty responsible for each course to decide which scale to use. A list of a student's completed courses may, therefore, contain a number of different grading scales. The grading scale is always specified in the course syllabus. All grades at Mid Sweden University are goal-related; that is to say, a student's performance is assessed based on the intended learning outcomes stated in the course syllabus. A goal-related grade does not indicate how well a student has performed in relation to other students, but instead to what extent he/she has fulfilled the course objectives.

The intended learning outcomes describe the knowledge a student is expected to possess at the end of a course in order to receive a passing grade. The grading scales used at Mid Sweden University are listed below:

  • Pass with Distinction – Pass – Fail (The traditional grading scale at Swedish universities.)

  • A–B–C–D–E–Fx-F (Fail) A Excellent, B Very Good, C Good, D Satisfactory, E Sufficient Fx Insufficient, F Fail

On rare occasions a Faculty can also use Pass – Fail.

More information about grading scales


Translation of grades

Mid Sweden University does not provide ECTS grades, nor do we translate our own grading scales into ECTS grades. If you are an exchange student and will have your credits transferred, your home university is responsible for any translation of Swedish grades into your home country's specific grading system. It may be helpful if you present the course work and exams you complete at Mid Sweden University to your home university when you return.

Academic life

When does the academic year start?

The academic year consists of two semesters, each lasting 20 weeks. The autumn semester usually runs from the beginning of September to mid-January and the spring semester from mid-January to the beginning of June.

There is usually a two-week break in teaching at Christmas.

Please note that the Christmas break may vary between the departments and it is therefore important that you contact your teacher(s) for detailed information. 

The academic year and official semester dates are listed here:

What is the Swedish Study System like?

Teaching Methods
The teaching methods are based on the student's responsibility and individual performance. Students are expected not only to remember the facts from a lecture, but also to summarise, evaluate and analyse them in order to draw their own conclusions. Examinations seldom require that students reproduce exactly the material presented during the lectures.

Exams are not given at the end of the term, but rather at the end of each course, as explained above. The exam can be in the form of a written test or you may be asked to hand in an assignment, participate in a seminar, or do a "home exam". When taking a Home Exam you are given a number of days to answer a set of questions. You may use your books, but the questions generally require you to have your own opinions and are more essay-like in character.

The Student-Teacher Relationship
The academic lifestyle of Mid Sweden University is relaxed and friendly. The dress code is informal and the staff/student relationship is non-authoritarian and democratic. The teacher/professor is addressed by their first name. As a student here, you are expected to contribute with ideas and opinions and use critical thinking. Reading and independent studies are usually extensive, regardless of your field of study, and students are expected to come well-prepared to class. Courses are usually a mixture of lectures, seminars, group work, laboratory work and independent studies. They may also consist of fieldwork or placement periods arranged by the university.

Who can sign my Erasmus+ Learning Agreement?

Your Learning Agreement is signed by the International Relations Office here at MIUN.

Please note that your Learning Agreement can not be signed until you have received your Notification of Selection Results (mid May for autumn semester studies and mid November for spring semester studies)

Please also note that the Learning Agreement you send us must be in accordance with your Notification of Selection Results. The Notification of Selection Results is our formal evaluation of your eligibility for courses you have applied for at MIUN, and if the Learning Agreement and Notification of Selection Results differ - the Notification will always be the document we base your admission on. 

Talk to your home institution to find out if they use digital Learning Agreements or paper/pdf. Non-digital Learning Agreements should be sent to after you have received your Notification of Selection Results. 


Who can sign my confirmation of arrival/departure document?

Confirmation of stay, Confirmation of Arrival/Departure or any other documentation that your home university requires you to hand back signed and stamped, will be signed by the International Relations Office when you have arrived, and not before.  

The Proof of Arrival Form certifies that you have arrived at Mid Sweden University, and most importantly, it confirms your exact duration dates at Mid Sweden University. Please note that we do not sign your arrival form prior to the semester has started. The earliest date that we can sign your Arrival form is the first day of Introduction Days. 

It is your home university that provides you with any documentation that needs signing. If you haven't received any forms before you depart for Sweden, contact your home university to get the correct documentation,  unless you have digital documentation that needs to be signed. 

Your Learning Agreements is signed by the International Relations Office as well. (See question regarding Erasmus + Learning Agreements for further details.)

What do I do if I get schedule conflicts?

It is common to experience schedule clashes when choosing courses given at different departments. One way to avoid schedule clashes is to study the majority of your courses at one main department. When taking courses at several departments, especially if the courses are taking place during the same period of time, it is difficult to avoid schedule conflicts.

Note that it is your responsibility to make your schedule work. If you miss any e.g. lectures, seminares etc. due to schedue conflicts you must keep your course coordinator informed and check if there is any way for you to make up what you've missed in the class, and rely on your fellow classmates to take notes for you. 

If you experience severe schedule clashes, you may have to consider changing your course selection. There is no time to check approval with your home university once the semester has started, so all course changes have to be pre-approved by your home university when the semester starts. Please note changes are subject to availability, so make sure to select your courses carefully during the regular application period. If it comes down to changing your course selection on site, contact the International Relations Office to check what your options are. 

Can I change courses?

Mid Sweden University does not have an add-drop session. This is why it is important that you think carefylly of which courses to choose when you submit your course selection in the regular application period. 

Changes to courses can only be made due to conflicting schedules. There is no time to check approval with your home university once the semester has started, so all course changes have to be pre-approved by your home university. Please note changes are subject to availability, so make sure to select your courses carefully during the regular application period.

If you need to make any amendments to your course selection before you arrive to Mid Sweden University, contact the IRO to check availability via e-mail

Can I receive a schedule for all the courses I am studying when I start my semester?

Students will recieve a schedule approximately two days before each course starts.

How do I register for written exams?

To register for an exam please visit the student pages

Choose "Student - My studies - Examination - Register for Exam" in the menu.

Go to register for an exam

Where can I find the examination rules for written exams at Miun?

Mid Sweden University has examination rules and they can be found under Examination.

Can exams be scheduled on a saturday?

Yes, written exams can be scheduled on a weekend (saturday), but it is uncommen and it is mostly re--exams that may be scheduled on a saturday.

I forgot to register for my exam, what can I do?

If you missed the exam registration deadline you will not be able to attend the examination.

Arriving late to the examination? Wait 30 minutes in the hallway. 

For all concerns regarding examination please use the contacts below:




More information regarding examination


Can I sit the exam from my home university?

The IRO is not responsible for arranging re-exams or examinations taking place off campus. If you can't sit the exam at the given time at Mid Sweden University, you must contact the examination coordinator to apply for an exemption to sit the exam off campus at your home university instead. If this is possible or not, the examination coordinator can look into and provide more information regarding procedures on examination off campus.

Contact details to the examination coordinator: 

Do you offer support for students with disabilities?

We offer different kinds of individual support if you have a disability. Contact the coordinators for students with disabilities at Mid Sweden Universty well in advance before your arrival to discuss your support options.

More information about support for students with disabilities can be found here:

I have finished all my courses, how can I receive my official transcript of records?

Please note that Official Transcript of Records are not automatically sent to the student when they have finished their courses. It is up to the student to fill out a transcript request form when they have received all their grades and the grades have been entered in Ladok. 

Students can request for their home university to get a copy too by making a note on the transcript request form. Students can also make a note to say if they want to receive a digital copy of your transcript of records. 

Transcript Request Form 

My grade doesn't show in Ladok, what can I do?

If you have completed all of your courses, but there's still no final grade reported in Ladok, please check with your teacher's and course coordinator to find out why there's a delay in reporting your final grade in the specific course. 

Please note that you can't submit your transcritp request form until all of your grades have been reported in Ladok, so it is important to double check this before you submut your transcript request form. 


Visa and Residence Permit

Do I need a visa?

For studies that are shorter than three months, citizens in certain countries must have an entry visa. If you are unsure whether you will need a visa to enter Sweden, you can consult the Swedish Government's list.

List of foreign citizens who require Visa for entry into Sweden
Swedish embassies and consulates

Where can I apply for a Residence Permit?

For Non-European citizen
If you have been admitted to campus based studies for a period longer than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit for studies. You can apply for a residence permit through the Swedish Migration Agency's webpage. When you have received your Notification of Selection Results, it is time to apply for your residence permit. (Students who have been admitted to distance education can apply for a visitor’s permit.)         


When can I apply for a Visa/Residence permit?

You may apply for a visa/residence permit as soon as you received an offer of admission from Mid Sweden University. In order to get a decision as quickly as possible, you should apply online and submit all required documents.

Important! International students must be admitted to full-time studies, or at least 30 ECTS per term, in order to obtain a residence permit for studies in Sweden by the Swedish Migration Agency. 

I need an insurance certificate, where can I get it?

Kammarkollegiet is a Swedish public agency that provides insurance for students studying at the higher education level. All international students studying in Sweden are covered by “Student IN”.  When you have received your Notification of Selection Results, you will be emailed your insurance certificate, which you need to include in your residence permit application.


Where can I find information about student accommodation?

Mid Sweden University does not provide student accommodation. However, we cooperate closely with student housing companies in each campus city and recommend different housing companies in Sundsvall and Östersund. The choice of housing varies but all types of student accommodation in Sweden are generally of a high standard.

Students admitted to Mid Sweden University for fulltime studies, 30 credits per semester,  are offered a housing guarantee by the Municipalities in Sundsvall and Östersund. Please bear in mind when applying for housing that you are not guaranteed to get your first hand choice. Make sure to apply as soon as you receive your notification of admission.

More information about accommodation

How can I apply and book accommodation?

As an admitted student at Mid Sweden University, you can reserve a room by contacting the housing company of your choice. There are two ways to book accommodation, either by e-mail or by filling out an online application form. It depends on the procedure of the housing company.

Please note, it is not until you have received your letter of admission that your application for housing will be processed.

The university does not process any student housing applications. you must apply for student housing directly with the housing provider of your choice. Any accommodation related questions should be directed to the housing company. 

More information about accommodation.

I have not yet received a response from the Housing Company I contacted, why?

It can be many different reasons why you have not received an answer. Many students are looking for housing before the start of each semester. The Housing Companies will process the applications in the order they are submitted, this means that it can take a week or two before you receive a response from the Housing Company you contacted.

Note that if you send an e-mail or the application form and get a “deliver failure message” back to the e-mail address you entered in the e-mail/application form it means that your application did not go through.

I will arrive after business hours, how can I collect the keys to my accommodation?

It is  important that you inform your housing provider well in advance to arrange the pick up of your key. The housing provider can sometimes arrange for you to pick up the key to your accommodation if you arrive after office hours. Stay in contact with your housing provider to see if they have any solutions for late arrival and pick up of key. 

If you arrive outside these opening hours, or if your accommodation, for some reason, is not available on the day of your arrival, we advise you to book a hostel/hotell for the night and collect the keys when it is possible.




I will arrive before I get access to my student accommodation, where can I stay?

If you arrive outside these opening hours, or if your accommodation, for some reason, is not available on the day of your arrival, we advise you to book a hostel/hotell for the night and collect the keys when it is possible.

Will my room be furnished?

Keep in mind that your accommodation may not be furnished. Check with your housing provider what applies to your selected accommodation type.  

For students coming to Sundsvall: 
Students can rent furniture through Northfurniture, or buy furniture cheap at local second hand stores or the large shopping area Birsta. 

More detailed information about the Housing companies in Sundsvall can be found here: 

For students coming to Östersund:
The International Committe is part of the Student Union in Östersund and help students from abroad during the introduction weeks at the beginning of every semester to ensure their transition here is stress-free and smooth. Each semester the IC organizes a Facebook group where international students sell and buy "International Boxes". It's an opportunity for students who are leaving to get rid of their things, and for new students to have everything they need when they arrive. This is a way to make moving to and from Östersund a lot easier. If you want to know more about International Boxes, contact the IC and they will tell you more: 
Contact information to the International Committee 

Student life

How much is the cost of living for a student?

We estimate that you need a minimum of SEK 8,500 per month to live in Sweden as a student. Non-EU students must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that they can support themselves with a minimum of SEK 8,568 per month for the time of their stay.

What is a Student Union?

On every campus within Mid Sweden University, there is a student union that looks after your interests as they concern your education and questions related to the social aspects of student life.

For more information about the Student Unions.

What leisure activities are available at Mid Sweden University?

Each campus at Mid Sweden University has its own Student Union, also known as “Studentkåren”. The main task of the Student Union is to support students academically and socially throughout their studies. Facilities and services include cafeterias, pubs, study rooms, rooms for parties, sport activities, health and student centres.

In addition to the leisure activities provided by the Student Union each campus town has sports centres, swimming pools, ski slopes, cross-country tracks, and a number of sports clubs, teams and evening courses. Check out the tourist information websites in your city for more information about fun things to do in your city!

Can I have a part-time job for my daily expenses, while I study at Mid Sweden University?

Getting a part-time job as a student can be quite hard, especially when you do not speak Swedish. With this in mind and since you will study full time, we do not advise you to try to finance your stay in Sweden by working.

For information regarding working in Sweden please visit Study in Sweden.

Where can I find a Campus Map?

The Map of Campus Sundsvall and Östersund can be found here: Campus Maps 

Where can I find a map of my campus city?

Here you can find a city map of:

Practical information

Will you arrange Arrival for New International Students?

As of the academic year of 2023/2024, Mid Sweden University arranges introduction days for international students, but does not arrange for arrival service (i.e. pick up service at train stations/airport). 

Am I insured during the exchange?

Kammarkollegiet is a Swedish public agency that provides insurance for students studying at the higher education level. Exchange students studying in Sweden are covered by “Student IN”.  Visit Kammarkollegiets website for terms and conditions of the Student IN insurance to see what it covers. 

In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive without any form of insurance. We therefore advice you to check your medical coverage back home well before travelling to Sweden, if you feel the need to have an additional insrurance during your time abroad.

Students coming from the EU, remember to bring your European Health Insurance Card. This is a free card that gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the 27 EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland under the same conditions and at the same cost (free in some countries) as people insured in that country. The benefits covered include, for example, benefits provided in conjunction with chronic or existing illnesses as well as in conjunction with pregnancy and childbirth. Cards are issued by your national health insurance provider.


How far is it between the Campuses at Mid Sweden University?

Sundsvall is located on the coast about 400 kilometres north of Stockholm. Östersund is situated about 550 kilometres north of Stockholm, about 200 kilometres northwest of Sundsvall.

How do I get to Sundsvall-Östersund from Stockholm?

Most international flights arrive at the Arlanda Airport. Sundsvall is located about 400 kilometres North of Stockholm. Östersund is situated about 180 kilometres to the Northwest of Sundsvall and about 550 kilometres North of Stockholm. There are different travel alternatives.

By Air  
It takes 45 minutes to fly from Arlanda Airport to the Sundsvall/Timrå Airport or to the Åre/Östersund Airport. Sundsvall city is located 22 km from the airport and Östersund city, 11 km. There are a number of flights every day and air fares vary. Scandinavian Airlines traffics both destinations. Please visit the Airline website for information and tickets. 

*Please note that we do not arrange any Arrival Service at Sundsvall/Timrå Airport. If you are planning to arrive by air to Sundsvall, please bear in mind that there is no transfer bus from the airport to Sundsvall city. We recommend that you reserve a taxi in advance. This will be at your own cost. 

By Train
It takes about 3.5 hours to go by fast train from Stockholm City to Sundsvall and about 5 hours to Östersund. There are also trains to Sundsvall and Östersund departing directly from Arlanda airport. Information and tickets at

By Bus
A bus journey from Stockholm takes 4‐7 hours depending on your destination. Information and tickets at

By Car
Follow the E4 highway northwards. From Stockholm to Sundsvall it is about 400 kilometres. If you are going to Östersund, you should continue through Sundsvall and follow the E14 highway in a north‐westerly direction. The distance between Sundsvall and Östersund is about 200 kilometres. Please note that studded tires are required during the winter season!

Travel tips
Tourist information about how to travel to Sweden and to Mid Sweden University.

1. Stockholm-Arlanda Airport
2. Visit Sundsvall
3. Visit Östersund

Visit Sweden provides more information

What is the climate like in Sweden, what clothes should I bring?

It is very important to know a few things about the weather in Sweden, because it is a bit special.  Sweden is a country with four distinct seasons. Spring runs from April to May, summer from June to August, fall from September to October and winter from November to March.

The temperature can vary from minus 20 degrees Celsius in the winter to about plus 25 degrees Celsius in the summer. In the area where Mid Sweden University is located there is always snow in the winter, so remember to bring warm clothes (e.g. gloves, a hat and warm shoes). 

SMHI, the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute provides information on weather forecasts and climate.

What does "personnummer" mean?

All Swedish citizens have a so-called 'personnummer', a social security number. At Mid Sweden University, we will provide you with a temporary number, which is ONLY valid within the walls of the university. The official number can be obtained if you register yourself as a resident in your respective municipality. Registering yourself as a resident is usually done when you intend to stay one year or longer.

If you want to get a Swedish ‘personnummer’, please contact the Local Swedish Tax Administration also known as "Skatteverket" in your campus town. Visit for further information. 

Please note that exchange students who stay for one or two semesters do not need to register as a resident in the municipality. 

I am looking for a job, who should I contact?

If you are looking for a job in Sweden, we recommend you to contact the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen).


International Relations Office

International Relations Office

The page was updated 1/3/2023