What international programmes do you offer?

Mid Sweden University offers one International Bachelor's programme and sixteen International Master´s programmes, all taught entirely in English.

More about our International Programmes

When can I apply?

Students who want to apply for international programmes at Mid Sweden University apply through universityadmissions.se

For  more information regarding admission for our international programmes starting the coming semester, please visit  Key Dates and Deadlines

How do I apply?

The application should be submitted at www.universityadmissions.se website, which  is a central application system for all Swedish universities, including Mid Sweden University.

More information about the application procedure

When will I get my Letter of Admission?

The Notification of Selection Results are the admission results and can be printed from your user account at www.universityadmissions.se. If you need a paper copy your Notification of Selection Results is available as a PDF on “Your pages" and serves as an official Letter of Admission to Mid Sweden University and can be sent to the Swedish Migration Board and other Embassies around the world.

What kind of language skills do I need?

All international programmes at Mid Sweden University require that applicants proof their proficiency in the English language. 

To find out what level of English language proficiency is required for the programme you want to apply for, go to international programmes. It is listed under the headline "Entry requirements" under each programme.

You can prove Enlish language proficiency in many different ways. There are formal tests such as IELTS or TOEFL that you can take, your upper secondary school credentlials (high school) may meet with the requirements and in some cases your previous university studies can suffice.

For detailed information about this please go to universityadmissions.se

I am interested in PhD studies, where can I find more information?

Different teacher- and PhD positions, staff vacancies are advertised on Mid Sweden University’s website for Staff Vacancies. Please visit that website for more information regarding PhD positions.

Do I need to pay tuition fees for studies at Mid Sweden University?

Education in Sweden is free for Swedish citizens, as well as students with citizenship in a EU or EEA (Switzerland) country.

Citizens from countries outside the EU/EEA/Switzerland are required to pay tuition fees. More information can be found here. 

Students coming to Sweden as part of an exchange agreement – whether from within or outside of the EU/EEA/Switzerland – are exempted from fees.

How much are tuition fees at Mid Sweden University?

The tuition fees for international Master´s Programmes at Mid Sweden University range from SEK 80,600-306,000 .

When and how do I pay my tuition fee?

The tuition fee must be paid one semester at a time, prior to the start of each semester. Admission to Mid Sweden University is conditional until tuition has been paid in full. The payment can only be made via bank transfer.

If you are a new student about to start your first semester at Mid Sweden University you will be able to pay your tuition fees after the Notification of Selection Result has been published at universityadmissions.se

Find out more about the payment of tuition fees


What is included in the tuition fee for the International Programmes?

For students admitted to a Master Programme at Mid Sweden University, the fee normally covers 30 credits per semester. Students have access to campus facilities like computer labs and library. The fee also includes study related services such as Study and Career Counseling, Student Health Centre, Disability services and other Study administration.

The tuition fee does not include accommodation costs, course literature and living expenses. The Swedish Migration Board estimates the cost of living in Sweden for a student to be SEK 8 010/month. For more information regarding cost of living in Sweden, please visit Study in Sweden and the Swedish Migration Agency 

Are there any scholarships available?

For high performing new students admitted to a study programme at Mid Sweden University, we offer a few tuition fee scholarships. The scholarship covers 75% of the tuition fee. The remaining 25% of the tuition fee each semester, as well as travel costs, living costs and all other expenses are NOT included in the scholarship and must be covered by other means of funding. 


There are also a number of other scholarships that you can apply for, from the Swedish Institute (SI) for example. Find our more about other scholarships. 

Do I need a visa?

Nationals in the majority of countries outside the EU requires a Visa to visit Sweden. If you are to study at a university, university college, higher vocational education or folk high school at the post-secondary level in Sweden for a period of time longer than three months, you can apply for a residence permit for higher education. This also applies to you if you will study in a mobility programme within the EU and will begin your studies in Sweden. The permit must be issued before you travel to Sweden. More information can be found at www.migrationsverket.se

Where can I apply for a Residence Permit?

You can apply for a residence permit online on the Swedish Migration Agency's website. Applying for a residence permit is usually a rather time-consuming process so please apply immediately after receiving the insurance certificate and having paid the tuition fee.

When can I apply for a Visa/Residence permit?

You may apply for a visa/residence permit as soon as you received an offer of admission from Mid Sweden University and have paid the tuition fee. In order to get a decision as quickly as possible, you should apply online and submit all required documents.

Note that you cannot obtain a residence permit before the first installment of the tuition payment has been made to Mid Sweden University.

Do I need to send an receipt of my paid tuition fee to the Migration Board ?

Mid Sweden University will notify the Swedish Migration Agency when the tuition fee has been paid in full. You do not need to hand in a receipt to the Swedish Migration Agency.

I need to submit a document showing I have a comprehensive health insurance. Am I insured through the university ?

Students paying tuition fees at Mid Sweden University are covered by the comprehensive insurance FAS+ issued by Kammarkollegiet. When Mid Sweden University receives the tuition fee payment, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to the student along with the insurance certificate.

Where can I find information about student accommodation?

Mid Sweden University does not provide student accommodation. However, we cooperate closely with student housing companies in each campus city and recommend different housing companies in Sundsvall and Östersund. The choice of housing varies but all types of student accommodation in Sweden are generally of a high standard. Students admitted to Mid Sweden University for a minimum of 15 credits per semester are offered a housing guarantee by the Municipalities in Sundsvall and Östersund. Please bear in mind when applying for housing that you are not guaranteed to get your first hand choice. Make sure to apply as soon as you receive your notification of admission.

 Information regarding student housing can be found here

How can I apply and book accommodation?

As an admitted student at Mid Sweden University, you can book a room by contacting the housing company of your choice. There are two ways to book accommodation, either by e-mail or by filling out an online application form. It depends on the procedure of the housing company.

Please note, it is not until you have received your letter of admission that your application for housing will be processed.

More information about accommodation.

I have not yet received a response from the Housing Company I contacted, why?

It can be many different reasons why you have not received an answer.

Many students are looking for housing before the start of each semester. The Housing Companies will process the applications in the order they are submitted, this means that it can take a week or two before you receive a response from the Housing Company you contacted.

Note that if you send an e-mail or the application form and get a “deliver failure message” back to the e-mail address you entered in the e-mail/application form it means that your application did not go through.

I will arrive after business hours, how can I collect the keys to my accommodation?

It is  important that you inform your housing provider well in advance to arrange the pick up of your key. The housing provider can sometimes arrange for you to pick up the key to your accommodation if you arrive after office hours. Stay in contact with your housing provider to see if they have any solutions for late arrival and pick up of key. 

If you arrive outside these opening hours, or if your accommodation, for some reason, is not available on the day of your arrival, we advise you to book a hostel/hotell for the night and collect the keys when it is possible.




I will arrive before I get access to my student accommodation, where can I stay?

If your accommodation, for some reason, is not available on the day of your arrival you can always book a room at the local Youth Hostel. For more information regarding youth hostels or hotels please contact our International Office for guidance.

Which universities are accredited universities in Sweden?

Information about accreditation of universities and university colleges can be found on the Swedish National Agency for Higher Educations website.

What kind of degree do I get after completing a Bachelor’s Programme?

On completing your Bachelor’s Programme, which normally takes three years, you may apply for a Kandidatexamen, which is translated into Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science in your major subject.

What kind of degree do I get after completing a Master’s Programme?

On completing your Master’s Programme, which usually takes two years, you may apply for a Masterexamen, which is translated into Master of Science (120 credits) or Master of Arts (120 credits) in your major subject.

What is the Swedish Study System like?

Students, teaching staff, and professors work together in close and informal cooperation. As a student here, you are expected to contribute with ideas and opinions and use critical thinking. Reading and independent studies are usually extensive, regardless of your field of study, and students are expected to come well-prepared to class.

Courses are usually a mixture of lectures, seminars, group work, laboratory work and independent studies. They may also consist of fieldwork or placement periods arranged by the university.

Read more.

When does the academic year start?

The academic year consists of two semesters, each lasting 20 weeks. The autumn semester usually runs from the beginning of September to mid-January and the spring semester from mid-January to the beginning of June. There is usually a two-week break in teaching at Christmas.

Please note that the Christmas break may vary between the departments and it is therefore important that you contact the international coordinator at the department for detailed information.


Autumn semester 2021

Start: 30 August, 2021
End: 16 January, 2022


Spring semester 2022

Start: 17 January, 2022
End: 5 June, 2022


Autumn semester 2022

Start: 29 August, 2022
End: 15 January, 2023

What grading system does Mid Sweden University have?

From the autumn semester of 2007, Mid Sweden University applies a grading scale of seven levels, A–F, in most of the courses. Each course is defined in terms of the expected results and abilities (‘intended learning outcomes’) which the student should have achieved at the end of the course. This describes the knowledge each student is expected to possess at the end of the course in order to pass it. The grades A-E are used to indicate how well the student has done in regards to the ‘intended learning outcome’. Please note that sometimes, different grading criteria apply for a certain course. The grading scale is always specified in the course syllabus.

A   Excellent

B   Very Good  

C   Good

D   Satisfactory

E   Sufficient

Fx Insufficient

F   Insufficient

How many credits are needed to study full-time?

A normal workload is 30 higher education credits per semester and 60 higher education credits per academic year. The number of credits assigned by Mid Sweden University corresponds to The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). In general, one week of full-time study is equivalent to 1.5 credit points. Full-time means a workload of forty hours per week. However, much of this time is non-scheduled self-study.

What are the names of the Departments at Mid Sweden University?

The university has a decentralized structure with two faculties. Education and research are carried out in 20 departments.


Faculty of Human Sciences

Department of...

  • Business, Economics and Law

  • Humanities

  • Health Sciences

  • Nursing Sciences

  • Psychology

  • Social Sciences

  • Social Work

  • Tourism Studies and Geography

  • Education


Faculty of Science, Technology and Media

Department of...

  • Ecotechnology and Sustainable Building Engineering

  • Computer and System Science

  • Electronics Design

  • Industrial Design

  • Information and Communication Systems

  • Chemical Engineering

  • Quality Technology and Management, Mechanical Engineering and Mathematics

  • Media and Communication Science

  • Natural Sciences

  • Science Education and Mathematics

  • Archives and Computer Science

Can I receive a schedule for all the courses I am studying when I start my semester?

Students will recieve a schedule approximately two days before each course starts.

What help can students with disabilities recieve?

If you have functional disabilities so that you need help with your studies, you have the right to additional support. At Mid Sweden University we have coordinators, who will help you with such arrangements. Contact the coordinator well ahead of time, already before the period of notification has expired.

How do I register for written exams?

To register for an exam please visit the studentpages

Choose "Student - My studies - Examination - Register for Exam" in the menu.

Go to register for an exam

Where can I find the examination rules for written exams at Miun?

Mid Sweden University has examination rules and they can be found under Examination.

Can exams be scheduled on a saturday?

Yes, written exams can be scheduled on a weekend (saturday), but it is uncommen and it is mostly re--exams that may be scheduled on a saturday.

How much is the cost of living for a student?

We estimate that you need a minimum of SEK 8,500 per month to live in Sweden as a student. Non-EU students must prove to the Swedish Migration Board that they can support themselves with a minimum of SEK 8,568 per month for the time of their stay.

Where can I find a Campus Map?

What is a Student Union?

On every campus within Mid Sweden University, there is a student union that looks after your interests as they concern your education and questions related to the social aspects of student life.

For more information about the Student Unions.

What leisure activities are available at Mid Sweden University?

Each campus at Mid Sweden University has its own Student Union “Studentkåren”. The main task of the Student Union is to support students academically and socially throughout their studies. Facilities and services include cafeterias, pubs, study rooms, rooms for parties, sport activities, health and student centres.

In addition to the leisure activities provided by the Student Union each campus town has sports centres, swimming pools, ski slopes, cross-country tracks, and a number of sports clubs, teams and evening courses. Check out the tourist information websites in your city for more information about fun things to do in your city!

Can I have a part-time job for my daily expenses, while I study at Mid Sweden University?

Getting a part-time job as a student can be quite hard, especially when you do not speak Swedish. With this in mind and since you will study full time, we do not advise you to try to finance your stay in Sweden by working.

For information regarding working in Sweden please visit Study in Sweden.

How far is it between the Campuses at Mid Sweden University?

Sundsvall is located on the coast about 400 kilometres north of Stockholm. Östersund is situated about 550 kilometres north of Stockholm, about 200 kilometres northwest of Sundsvall.

What is the climate like in Sweden, what clothes should I bring?

It is very important to know a few things about the weather in Sweden, because it is a bit special.  Sweden is a country with four distinct seasons. Spring runs from April to May, summer from June to August, fall from September to October and winter from November to March.

The temperature can vary from minus 20 degrees Celsius in the winter to about plus 25 degrees Celsius in the summer. In the area where Mid Sweden University is located there is always snow in the winter, so remember to bring warm clothes (e.g. gloves, a hat and warm shoes). 

What does "personnummer" mean?

All Swedish citizens have a so-called 'personnummer', a social security number. At Mid Sweden University, we will provide you with a temporary number, which is ONLY valid within the walls of the university. The official number can be obtained if you register yourself as a resident in your respective municipality. Registering yourself as a resident is usually done when you intend to stay one year or longer.

If you want to get a Swedish ‘personnummer’, please contact the Local Swedish Tax Administration ‘Skatteverket’ in your campus town. Visit www.skatteverket.se or contact them.

What kind of health insurance do I need?

In Sweden, medical treatment is very expensive without any form of insurance. Mid Sweden University advice you to check your medical coverage well before travelling to Sweden.

Depending on your citizenship status (if you are a citizen from the Nordic, EU/EEA countries or Switzerland or not) will determine what medical coverage you need as a student in Sweden.

The duration of studies also affect the regulations that applies for medical coverage. For more information regarding medical insurance, please visit Study in Sweden.

Information regarding insurance coverage at Mid Sweden Univeristy.

I am looking for a job, who should I contact?

If you are looking for a job in Sweden, we recommend you to contact the Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen).


International Office

International Office

The page was updated 1/3/2023