It can be both complicated and time consuming to recruit staff from a country other than Sweden, so there may be reason to draw on the assistance of the relocation company contracted by Mid Sweden University.

The following is general information. In order to receive more detailed information in each case, it is recommended to contact the relevant authority. It is also possible to purchase the relocation service when recruiting staff from abroad.


In order to facilitate recruitment of staff from abroad, a relocation service is available for purchase. Mid Sweden University has procured this service from Alfa Quality Moving AB.
Learn more

Residence permit

If you are not a Swedish or Norwegian citizen, a residence permit is needed. Non-EU citizens can apply for a residence permit from the Swedish embassy or consulate.
Learn more  

Work permit

Those who wish to work in Sweden must have a work permit. The permit must be approved and entered into your passport before travelling to Sweden. This means that it is not possible to travel to Sweden and wait for the decision here.
Learn more


A visa is a permit that is needed in order to travel to and spend time in Sweden and the other Schengen countries for a short period of time, such as whilst visiting friends or relatives, for tourism, making business visits, participating in a conference, or just to travel through (transit). Those who wish to settle in Sweden, for example to be reunited with relatives, must apply for and receive a residence permit before travelling.
Learn more

National registration

If the residence permit applies for longer than one year, the holder is entitled to national registration.
Everyone recorded in the Swedish national register receives a Swedish personal identity number.
Learn more

Tax regulations

If you are staying in Sweden for less than six months, you have limited tax liability. A special income tax called SINK (Särskild inkomstskatt för utomlands bosatta or 'Special income tax for non residents') applies to taxable income from employment. If an individual remains in Sweden for six contiguous months or longer, the person is normally considered to have unlimited tax liability.
Learn more 


Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket)
Swedish Public Employment Service (Arbetsförmedlingen)
The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)
Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)
The Taxation of Research Workers Board (Forskarskattenämnden)

Read more